Mechanical Engineering Team Lead - Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Accountable for Mechanical engineering functional assurance and health for the operating assets in STTL as the Technical Authority (TA2).
To lead the development and improvement of the competency and performance of the Mechanical persons in STTL.
To represent the Mechanical Discipline through the Global Discipline Head and Regional TA1 in providing guidance on Shell policies, standards and guidelines associated with the engineering discipline and Mechanical safety. This includes providing leadership in day to day support for complex multi-disciplinary issues to ensure strategies that work towards achieving Goal Zero and to prevent loss of production rates.
To function as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Mechanical Safety for the asset including developing and delivering the required training programs and assurance for Mechanical safety as required by the HSSE&SP Control Framework.
Accountable for technical assurance for the Mechanical function as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Mechanical Safety for the asset including developing and delivering the required training programs and assurance for Mechanical safety as required by the HSSE&SP Control Framework.
Responsible for Mechanical engineering technical assurance.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership for the Operations Engineering Support Mechanical Team in delivering the goals and plans assigned to the team, while mentoring/ coaching team members, guiding discipline development and conducting performance assessment and feedback.
- Manage plans, strategies, budgets and projects for Operations Engineering Support Mechanical related initiatives, geared towards improving safety, overall equipment reliability, increasing production, and/or reducing the cost of production.
- Provide specialist technical support for the Mechanical engineering discipline to the Upstream Assets organization and to the wider STTL organization.
- Contribute to peer assists, reviews and formal Technical Assurance reviews to ensure compliance with the HHSE&SP Control Framework.
- Develop and maintain effective liaison with other functions and disciplines, such as HSSE, Process, Mechanical, Wells, Sub-Sea, as part of developing robust and optimized solutions.
- Establish, maintain and expand the “knowledge network” for the Mechanical engineering area within the asset to ensure key learnings are shared and best practices are used and to seek continuous improvement initiatives in the Mechanical field.
- Provide Mechanical engineering technical assurance for minor CAPEX and OPEX projects within Upstream Assets and ensure technical decisions are in-line with best practice and meet corporate Standards and Guidelines.
- Provide integrated technical assurance for major CAPEX growth projects
- Provide technical support to the HEMP process by participation in HAZIDs, HAZOPs, Bow-Ties, QRAs.
- AMS (Asset Management System) Accountabilities:
- ESP (Ensuring Safe Production): Maintenance of a current set of Performance Standards for Mechanical safety critical equipment and ensure Performance Standards compliance via audits, reviews, trending and tracking and all issues are effectively risk assessed and mitigated and captured against the Barrier Model.
- MEC (Manage Equipment Care): Develop and maintain Equipment Care Strategies, PM Routines and Job Plans to ensure asset integrity in maintained for Mechanical equipment geared towards improving safety, overall equipment reliability, increased production, and reducing cost of production.
- Management of Change (MOC): Review and provide assurance for all documents for Mechanical engineering changes at STTL; including major CAPEX projects.
- Provide maintenance support for complex Mechanical maintenance scopes and problem-solving tasks and provide engineered solutions to Engineering Queries from the sites.
- Lead and perform root cause analysis for failed Mechanical components and utilize learnings to update maintenance strategies.
- Develop and maintain the Mechanical Safety Rules for the Trinidad business, maintain a register of all Mechanical authorized persons and assure their competence training.
- Ensure compliance against the HSSE&SP Control Framework for Mechanical Safety and develop/promote initiatives to improve the awareness and knowledge of Mechanical safety to support achieving Goal Zero.
- Perform Level of Deviation (LOD) audits and assurance reviews to assess site application of Mechanical procedures and the Mechanical Safety Rules.
- Perform and analyze Arc Flash studies and work towards reducing exposure to field personnel to hazardous incident energy.
- Maintain, update and provide assurance on the Hazardous Area Classification Drawings for the operating sites.
- Ensure Tier 1 and 2 safety critical Mechanical drawings are kept up to date.
- Perform Contract Owner duties for Ex Maintenance Services contract.
- Develop and manage contracts for Mechanical services including
- Assist in the maintenance of asset integrity management database systems such as Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), Document Control.
- Lead the development of all the Mechanical Engineers and Technicians in STTL including engineers in the Internship, Shell Graduate Program (SGP), and Shell Advanced Technical Program (SATP).
- Conduct regular training sessions and coaching on the operating sites to provide continuous improvement in Mechanical safety awareness and risk management.
- Provide input into the OPEX and CAPEX budget planning process for STTL Upstream Assets.
- Disseminate lessons learned from Global LFI (Learning From Incident) Alerts and lead action closure of for related issues on the STTL facilities.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Trinidad and Tobago without sponsorship.
- In-depth knowledge in International Standards governing Mechanical systems in the Petro-chemical industry (API, IEEE, ANSI, IEC, NFPA)
- In-depth knowledge in managing engineering documentation and drawings.
- This role will function within the Manage Equipment Care (MEC) Process and will lead a community of MEC Practitioners
- Fifteen years or more of Mechanical engineering experience including demonstrated skill and mastery of at least one of the following areas:
- Static Equipment Engineering
- Rotating Equipment Engineering
- Pipeline Engineering
- Inspection Engineering
- Extensive and in-depth Mechanical discipline experience in key areas of facilities engineering, covering onshore and offshore gas production and associated facilities in a client/operator environment.
- Demonstrable performance and delivery in projects and operations, for design, selection and operation of Mechanical equipment, across a range of industrial activities.
- Broad knowledge of related disciplines in the industry. Experience leading multidisciplinary teams and in the assembly of teams to resolve specific technical issues.
- Experience in the application of functional assurance processes and techniques to Mechanical engineering activities.
- Recognized as the technical expert for all Mechanical engineering matters.
- Experience in the management of contractors with active involvement in the application of quality assurance and quality control to contractors engineering activities, including reviewing models, calculations, philosophies and designs and active participation in reviews and risk/hazard management activities.
- Knowledge of the latest technical developments in the Mechanical engineering discipline and the ability to ensure Shell has considered these for their future projects and operations.
- Experienced in high voltage switching and isolations to the Senior Authorized level and writing complex switching programs.
- B.Sc. /M.Sc. / M.Eng. or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum requirements for JG-3 Engineering Discipline Leader as defined by the Shell Mechanical Engineering Competency Matrix.
- Strong communication skills, both written and orally, supported by interpersonal skills that allow working at a senior level.
- Team player mindset with ability to work in geographically diverse and multi-cultural environments.
- Ability to challenge others in a constructive manner and negotiate with internal peers and partner’s representatives to influence decisions or ways of working.
- A proven ability to coach, mentor and share knowledge in both formal and informal settings.
- Excellent written and presentation skills, with ability to adapt style and content of presentation for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A commitment to the highest standards of HSSE, working continuously for improvement both in own activities and in those of the assets, projects or other business activities in which they are involved.
- Able to manage own time and apply relevant time management techniques to ensure timely delivery of multiple work streams.
- Demonstrate competence to manage a cross-functional team (Leader of Teams).
- Ability to lead teams for complex engineering technical issues and project delivery involving other disciplines.
- Ability to operate effectively within an international multi-cultural team environment.
- Demonstrate ability to coach, develop and mentor discipline technical staff through the full range of development levels.
- Demonstrates ability in Authenticity, Growth, Collaboration and Performance.
As one of the world’s leading energy companies, Shell plays a key role in helping to meet the world’s growing energy demand in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. Shell is committed to high standards of health, safety and environmental performance; to upholding honesty, integrity and respect for people in every aspect of our operation; and to the equal treatment and development of staff. Shell has been active in Trinidad for a century. Our business activities in Trinidad include exploration and development activities, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and providing high technical support to a state company. The world faces energy challenges that are becoming more complex each day. We’re looking for people who share our passion for taking on those challenges with cutting edge technology, innovative thinking and a commitment to properly managed risk. Shell develops and operates some of the largest and most complex projects in the world and we always endeavor to work at the leading edge of technical innovation.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mechanical - Static
Port of Spain